The death toll from influenza outbreaks in South Australia this year has risen to 17, including 13 residents of aged care homes, as an “unprecedented” flu season continues to wreak havoc across the state.

Key points

  • 13 aged care residents have died from flu this year, with many facilities in lockdown
  • SA Health blames “unprecedented” number of cases on early surge
  • Opposition questions vaccine access for most vulnerable people

Chief medical officer Professor Paddy Phillips said there had been 53 outbreaks in nursing homes since the start of the year and at least 18 facilities were in lockdown.

He said there were 12,339 influenza cases as of last Saturday, compared with 1,348 at the same time last year.

Among the deaths was a 15-year-old with no pre-existing conditions, while an additional seven people died in one week alone.

 

CC0 Creative Commons Pixabay

Read more…