Work to clean up a hospital bacteria outbreak inadvertently led to more contamination, new documents reveal.

Brain surgery was postponed at Edinburgh’s Western General in March after a small number of patients contracted the Pseudomonas aeruginosa bug from showers and taps in a ward.

A decontamination programme was ordered by NHS Lothian.

But documents released by health watchdogs show this work is believed to have caused further problems.

Health Protection Scotland (HPS) papers show a shower in the hospital’s department of clinical neurosciences twice tested negative for the bacteria following the outbreak, and patients were allowed to keep using it.

Credit: iStock, eepblue4you

Read more at BBC…